Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Book Teaser


Even with the Mr. writing at a feverish pace, I figure with editing and publishing and whatnot we're still a year out from availability. With that in mind (and housing prices continuing to confound our attempts to find a suitable project) I thought I'd post the occasional quote from his upcoming book.

The working title is "How Hard Could it Be?" which sums up the attitude of many unfortunates when it comes to home improvements. My brief answer is always "much harder than you can imagine."

Ready?

Here are some useful tips for contractors when responding to customer utterances (also helpful to customers when interviewing contractors).


  1. When the customer says "I'll help" double the price.
  2. When the customer says "I'd do this myself if I had the time" triple the price.
  3. When the customer says "I'm getting three estimates" or "I fired the last carpenter" or "the architect will run the job" walk away.
  4. When the customer says "I'm a lawyer" RUN away.

Additional fees may be charged as follows:

10% entertainment tax for watching the work.
10% educational tax for asking questions.
$100 per for each answer to the above.


4 comments:

  1. Heheheh. I like the working title a lot. And that bit about 'I'm a lawyer' holds true for pretty much any profession (ski instruction, medicine, software development, etc., etc.) unless you, too, are a lawyer. At what point the two lawyers can commiserate on how no one wants to do work for them. :-)

    -Dr. Liz, who knows better than to attempt to do major home improvement projects on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THOSE are all REALLY FUNNY... and OH SO TRUE !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, lawyers are actually a step higher in the mistrust scale that contractors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, lawyers are actually a step higher in the mistrust scale that contractors.

    ReplyDelete